PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour building & modular trainning for ATPL
Old 15th Mar 2001, 04:44
TheNavigator

Red face

So, after a few hours of searching info in the CAA and JAA sites I am starting to favour the idea of doing the IR during the 150 hours before the ATPL theory. According to the information I found, and quoting the JARs:

"An applicant for an IR(A) shall hold a PPL(A) including a night qualification or CPL(A) and shall have completed at least 50 hours cross-country flight time as pilot-in-command in aeroplanes or helicopters of which at least 10 hours shall be in aeroplanes. "

I believe this fits well before the ATPL theory. My only concerns are with some comments about the possible dificulty of completing this course at this early stage.

However, 150 hours of flying just on its own may cost more then £10,000 and so does the IR. If the IR is done before the ATPL theory, there is a saving of £10,000. Further, I found that an IR in Portugal costs about half the price the UK price. On the other hand a CPL costs about 3 times(about £16,000???)

I would like to hear some comments about the contents of an IR course and/or why is it particularly difficult or needs a competent pilot... in short, something that deters me of persuing this route!

Just one last thing: I am preparing a table where I compare prices of the several modules of training on different schools. I am sure that it is possible to drop the complete training by a significant amount by playing around with different combinations! Anyone done this already?

And here goes my 10th post!! hey!

TheNavigator