PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways DEP Selection - THE lowdown Part 2
Old 1st Mar 2012, 11:16
Propellerhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't panic too much - it's a pause in recruitment not a stop. It's just a breather whilst a few things become clearer - I suspect bmi training capacity being one of them. In the long term the bmi deal is good for jobs as it will lead to Long Haul expansion and a LH a/c needs more pilots than a SH one. In the short term it's my understanding that those with an assessment date in March or who have already passed day 1 are being allowed to continue in order to join the hold pool. It was considered unfair to cancel interviews that people have already made days off / travel plans for. BA wouldn't be doing this if they didn't expect to need DEPs again before long.

I wouldn't be surprised if the plan changes and DEPs are taken on again at the end of this year. I would expect early next year at the latest. BAs latest results are good but they await approval of the bmi deal, plus with fuel price increasing at the eurozone uncertain then nothing is concrete as ever. On the other side no-one knows if people may start retiring soon (finally), or more part time in light of the big tax increases around final salary pensions.