PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2012, 09:56
brian_dromey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think a more pertinent factor would be the failure of LGW and CDG in quick order at SNN. EI have clearly shown they have an interest in growing their presence at SNN, but those tow routes, which to an outsider should have worked, were total dogs and dropped in a matter of weeks. The problem EI face is that they KNOW they can make money flying to Spain in the summer at ORK, DUB and BFS, even against FR and easyJet. The summer schedule is fairly tight for the A320 and A330 fleets. I don't think they are prepared to take that kind of risk at SNN, at the minute. Although the A330 is a tempting option, the risk of it having a technical problem, getting stuck in Spain and wrecking the schedule for days is one issue, the huge capacity of an A330 on European routes and the inevitable rock bottom fares would absolutely wreck yield from SNN, almost certainly out of ORK and possibly impact DUB as well. I do think this kind of service is possible, if EI were ever to base a second A320 or an A319 out of SNN.

How are the charters doing from SNN at the minute? If there is quite a lot of charter demand it may indicate a strong demand for seasonal service. Who is operating what at SNN this summer?