PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conduct of IRR and Base Check on Modern Twin Engine Helicopters (like EC 225)
Old 1st Mar 2012, 09:25
before landing check list

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TS, I am with you on the automation on crappy weather night approach, HOWEVER in day VFR with references the ability to hand fly better be there. Along with that ability the knowledge of what is happening and why it is happening is deeper ingrained if the hands know how to move the sticks. Would you feel safer riding in the back with a automation heavy and very little actually flying ability pilots up front OR a very rounded and experienced crew up there? I know what my answer will be. I still feel a check ride should cover everything, the ability to use the automation, the ability to hand fly and the wisdom to choose when and where to use either. There is no software in the automation yet that has been proven idiot proof. I want experience who can see what is happening, what should be happening and why. There is only one way to have that, experience in actually flying, nothing else will do.