PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conduct of IRR and Base Check on Modern Twin Engine Helicopters (like EC 225)
Old 1st Mar 2012, 05:21
sunnywa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

In OZ, the CIR (IRR) requires you to hand fly one approach in the test. Doesn't say which one, just one so could be ILS, VOR, NDB or GNSS. I personally think the CIR is okay as it concentrates on the handling of the AP in all the other apps but makes sure you can at least fly one approach with the correct techniques by hand.

For the base cx, the operator can make it as hard, or easy, as they like, as long as CASA (CAA) approve it. I think a portion has to be hand flown with basic AP functions to prove that you can actually fly the darn thing using the correct techniques. Had someone the other day unable to fly an accurate speed on downwind because the power setting wasn't working!

Simulators are the best if available and affordable so you can give the person a jolly good rogering in safety . With all of today's fantastic technology, the pilot must still be able to fly the aircraft safely and correctly in the basic mode, and must be able to get the most out of the technology. So you must test both.

My two cents worth.