PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Mininum hours Sullenberger
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2012, 23:34
The Green Goblin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current airline training methods are governed by antiquated regulations that do not reflect the advances in either aircraft design or aircraft reliability and this is what needs to be addressed.
They still fly the same way, they still fly the same speeds, they still have the same systems and they still buy the farm when you completely cock it all up.

This aircraft design, reliability mantra is poisonous group think from airline managements trying to deskill the job, reduce the terms and conditions for doing it and trying to cut down the tall poppy.

Remember many of these airline managers wanted to be pilots themselves (Alan Joyce) but didn't quite make it.

The only thing different about modern airliners is they present the same information in a more 'intuitive' way. However, there are more gotchas, more subtle flaws and more ways to bury information than ever before. Personally I felt more comfortable and had a better overview of the operation in a metro, than I do in a glass cockpit equipped airliner.

I'd say a competent, well trained, experienced pilot was safer flying a steam driven traditional cockpit than a modern automation reliant pilot in a glass cockpit.

That is why we are seeing handling accidents increase. The airline managers dream came true and their Pilots have become compliant and deskilled.