PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter missing in the Mourne Mountains, & tributes to AJ
Old 29th Feb 2012, 10:28
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm an ex Navy pilot, I currently teach RAF pilots and I know Paul Hannant from my time in police aviation. Firstly an inordinate number of pilots across tri service knew AJ. Every single one of them have respect for his professionalism - in my experience this is unique. The bloke was no fool.

What is gathering pace, is the need for current operators (pilots), especially freelance, to acclimatise to the fact that part of them now has to become a lawyer, so they can competently negotiate the minefield that is litigation.
Even the military have reacted (albeit late) by adopting MAA.
Slowly but surely the days of being a pure aviator, are over. Most modern commercial pilots have to be a mixture of:
Admin / accountant / lawyer...to survive.

Paco touches on an example about the a/c nav system.

It is not that there is legislation controlling the use of a nav system, perse; it is the fact that if prosecuting third party can identify a trait that the pilot was 'derelict in their duty' by not utilising said system properly, they will. They will build a picture of unprofessional behaviour which they hope will lead to the balance of probability that the pilots actions contributed to the accident and hence liability exists.

Where has all the fun gone these days.
The ONLY good news to come from this is that AJ died doing what he loved doing. RIP buddy.