PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Current state of Aviation as a career
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2012, 08:23
Calldepartures

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Current state of Aviation as a career

Hi Folks,

I have not been in aviation all that long (about 14 years on and off), but I dont recall seeing so many jobs available/advertised as what is around at the moment. I have a few friends in aviation ( from airline captains to ppl's) who all have verying opinions as to the current situation in the world of aviation from a career prospects point of view. On one hand I hear an opinion that this is a great time to be involved in the industy as there are plenty of opportunities. On the other hand I hear that nobody in there right mind would contemplate trying to make a living from this poor excuse of a profession.

I work two jobs, one of those aviation related but not flying which is a career in itself and the other a multi engine piston job. I'm at a point where I have an opportunity to take up a regional turbo prop job and.. well decision time.

So why am I posting? Because I know I can turn to the every reliable and accurate pprune community to impart its wisdom and advice which may help me make some very important life changing decisions over the next couple of weeks. (seriously, all advice appreciated) I am sure I am not the only person out there in this position.

Obviously a love of flying isnt enough, you need to have lifestyle too.

So I throw it open to the Pprune community. What is the state of play in the professional aviation world? Is there still a good career to be made of this? Overworked/underpaid/dissatisfied V Happy/good career/content.

As always, happy to hear all opinions
Calldepartures

P.S Feel free to post or PM