PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar set to capture Indian market
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2012, 02:28
Shark Patrol

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts
The article linked by hotnhigh confirms a figure I heard on CNN last week - 5 out of 6 Indian carriers reported losses last year and, overall, Indian aviation lost $3 billion last year. Yes, it sounds like a great market for Jetstar to get into (but I imagine QF International losses will increase again shortly afterward).

I despise the leprechaun that tries to run our outfit (into the ground), but at the last Senate hearing he made a valid point. He said that the WORLD'S entire aviation industry will make $6 billion profit this year - that's LESS than just ONE of Australia's four biggest banks. That is insane!!

Everybody wants to fly, but no-one wants to pay for it! Should airlines be re-regulated and re-nationalized? Everyone wants to fly but more and more, airlines are unable to make a decent return. The AirNZ results said that their profit was affected by natural disasters, high fuel prices and an INABILITY TO RAISE FARES!!?! What will it take to make this industry sustainable? Planeloads of cabin crew and tech crew from East Africa on $100 US a month?? Every fourth or fifth flight crashing because of badly paid, seriously disengaged and unmotivated pilots?

Every airline talks about wanting to open itself up to foreign investment, but seriously, who would be stupid enough to invest large slabs of cash in a major airline in the current climate? Maybe it's time we all just pay Emirates whatever it wants to become Emirates Australia, Emirates New Zealand, Emirates India or whatever.

Rant over!