PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod project progress at Kinloss
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2012, 13:15
vee-tail-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this is relevant, but thought I would share this letter I sent to the IWM at Duxford. They have a Shack MKIII under conservation there ... perhaps they might like a Nimrod?

Before joining BOAC / BA as flight crew, I served as RAF aircrew on Shackletons. Operating as a Flight Engineer (air eng) on 201 & 203 squadrons and ASWDU from 1960 to 1970.

So on my first visit to Duxford on Sat last, I was surprised and delighted to see the very aircraft in which I last flew nearly 50 years ago. Like me it looks a little worn and has its wings clipped … but only temporarily I hope?

The Viper jets were installed in the outboard Griffon nacelles, and the controls were placed under the Flight Engineer’s desk drawer lid. This upset some Engs since that drawer had been used for spare pens, Dalton computer, and sandwiches (or Cornish pasties if operating out of St Mawgan!)

On take-off the pilots wound up the Griffons to 2750 rpm and max boost, and the Eng set his Vipers to full power in one co-ordinated action. … the resulting acceleration was brisk, but the noise and vibration was awe inspiring to both crew and outside onlookers. With four turning and two burning we took to the sky in a maelstrom of noise.

In those days the Griffon engines had become unreliable, especially when operated at max power with water meth injection. Rolls Royce passed Griffon engine overhaul to another firm, and engine failures became more and more frequent. Crews therefore saw the Viper jets as a ‘Get you home’ device rather than an assist for take-off. My expectation of at least one Griffon failure on every mission came true when on patrol far out in the N Atlantic. Having successfully feathered an outboard engine we were unable to maintain height on the other three, so I lit up the corresponding Viper jet. We then climbed slowly to a respectable(for a Shackleton) altitude of 3000 feet. At this stage I realised that the high fuel consumption of the jet engine meant we would run out of fuel before reaching home. So for the next few hours I would shut down the Viper, the Shackleton would slowly descend to below 1000 feet, whereupon I would restart the Viper and we would ascend … we made it home and a beer in the Sgts Mess bar never tasted so good.

A notable trip for my squadron was a goodwill mission to the SAAF base at Ysterplaat in S Africa. We flew a Viper equipped MK III Shack down through Africa at an unprecedented 8000 feet altitude. It was the only time I ever used the two speed superchargers on the Griffon engines. We carried two crews on the aircraft for that trip, and when off watch my favourite position was right down in the tail looking out of the Perspex cone at the African scenery passing slowly (150 knots!)below. Looking at your aeroplane brings it all back quite vividly.

Another special moment for me occurred at Duxford on the same Saturday. Having retired from BA I fly a little vee tail Robin ATL, and always intended to fly into Duxford with my teenage son. To my surprise there in front of the control tower was a French registered Robin ATL identical to mine … the owner turned out to be just as enthusiastic about her aeroplane and the contact really put the cream on a splendid day for me.

Very many thanks … and can I please climb up the parachute hatch ladder into the Shackleton flight deck once again next time I visit Duxford?