PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Married Quarters for the axe
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2012, 12:39
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Away back in the seventies, when we still had Married Quarters as a matter of course at all stations, there was always a shortage of MQs and a long wait for an allocation when posted to a new station. That meant "weekly boarding" on camp and a long drive home when off duty. We spent months in this situation, the last time being seven months wait at Northolt while the family remained at Brize Norton under "60 Days Notice". This was the main driver for my own departure from the Royal Air Force: the disruption to family life was simply no longer acceptable. The Royal Navy never had a proper Married Quarters provision and my mother and I lived with my grandmother for several years, while Dad only came home when he had leave. Inevitably, he left when his 12 year engagement was done, even though he loved the actual job. It seems to me that nothing has changed and the MOD simply doesn't give a toss about loyalty. There's plenty more innocent/gullible (and perhaps more importantly, still single) young folks out there to replace those who leave. . .