PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pursuit of excellence - the X-Factor in training accidents
Old 27th Feb 2012, 07:26
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CC said:
It is a disgrace that young instructors with bordering on zero ME time, and certainly no meaningful ME time, are able to obtain META purely so they can get more hours in the ME Command column (despite the fact they won't typically be the flying pilot for most of it) for their airline application.
and maui said:
In my case I got META in about 1970, only after I had accumulated 2000 hours, recieved some some specific instruction, been ground examined, and flight tested by an Exminer of Airmen. IIRC that approval was valid only for ME aircraft in which I had in excess of 200 PIC. Further it was subject to renwal at my annual Instructor Rating check. Candidates were randomly vetted by the local Examiners, for a considerable time after the issue.
So gents with your combined wisdom and experience how do we fix the problem? How do we lift the standards of ATOs/'Examiner of Airmen'/Checkies/META Instructors?

Because I can see the day when an individual pilot bounces around all the available flying schools trying to get his/her MECIR renewed only to find he/she had to stop the test over and over because the instructors were all trying to kill him/her!

So how do we get back to the 'good old days'?