PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pursuit of excellence - the X-Factor in training accidents
Old 27th Feb 2012, 06:01
maui

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
I concur completely with CC in what he has said.

In my case I got META in about 1970, only after I had accumulated 2000 hours, recieved some some specific instruction, been ground examined, and flight tested by an Exminer of Airmen. IIRC that approval was valid only for ME aircraft in which I had in excess of 200 PIC. Further it was subject to renwal at my annual Instructor Rating check. Candidates were randomly vetted by the local Examiners, for a considerable time after the issue.

Simulators were simply not available for GA aircraft, so it was all done for real. Failures were generally introduced by way of mixture cut (manufacturers recommendation), and dexterous lever manipulation for the establishemnt of zero thrust. Yes it had it's risks, but with good tuition and a sensible approach a reasonable level of safety was achieved.

I despair when I hear that these days one only has to be an instructor, and endorsed, to be able to give ME instruction. Same goes for IR instruction. Is it any wonder that airlines are having difficulty with pass rates when the basics are dished out by instructors barely off their own training wheels.

I have been involved with "real time" engine failure training in aircraft from the dear old Twin Comanche thru to the A300. All have had an element of danger, but in each, that risk has been mitigated by proper briefing, and, maturity and experience in the right seat.

If high fidelity simulators are available then obviously that is the way to go. Unfortunately such is not always the case. This is not a reason to abandon proper training, but an imperative to ensure that those imparting such instruction are properly qualified.

Shame CASA shame!

Last edited by maui; 27th Feb 2012 at 07:16.