PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 336 VH-CMY
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2012, 03:35
VH-GKY336

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all its, GKY

My name is David Dixon and I own VH-GKY. Yes like it or not, that was my colour scheme. Very patriotic for the last flying 336 I thought.
A lot has happened since the paint job and certainly my life has been too busy to even look at forums until now. You see unfortunately and very sad for me, my wings have been clipped. One day I'll put the CMY GKY (and others) more recent story together if anyone is interested enough to want to know a bit of recent history since a bunch of us originally rescued GKY.

VH GKY was battered by a hailstorm Christmas day 2011 at Bacchus Marsh awaiting its next annual.
Sadly I am not in a position to get it back in the air. It has been an incredibly fantastic aircraft, but I must say it was in extremely poor state when the first syndicate acquired it 20 years ago. I was a part of that syndicate but purchased it outright a few years later to commence a full resto. Yes as stated it ferried us on many many trips across Bass straight from Moorabbin to Flinders Island. Lots of stories associated with the old girl. I'll write a book one day, but I must say it's not the only book written based on GKY. The fellow we acquired it from (David Lyons) wrote a story based on his experiences in GKY. He was based in Port Macquarie.
I tracked down CMY and believe I saved it from the fire department at Coolangatta. I sent a crew up there to dismantle it, but they were unable to carry this out. I am donating all the parts we salvaged and more from another wreck that I cannot at this stage remember its VH- I've included a pic of it in the jungle not far from Coolangatta taken in about 1997. I do believe he had parts off 2 336s. I took many pictures of the rescue of the parts, but my computer was stolen and I'm still searching for back ups which I still may find. I found one though. Please let me know if recent history is of interest to you guys.
David