PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure in Vy climbout
View Single Post
Old 27th Feb 2012, 01:21
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine failure in Vy climbout

This post relates to a discussion a few weeks back, but I can't find the right one now. One of the things under discussion was what happens if the engine fails while in a Vy (or similar) climbout - i.e. will you stall before you have time to react.

I set up the following experiment: set full takeoff power, trim for Vy, let things stabilise, pull power.

As I expected, nothing bad happened. The airspeed went down to to about 80 knots (Vy in my plane is 90) but by then the nose was pointing downwards and I was picking up speed again.

I didn't try it at Vx - maybe next time. But I'd expect it work much the same.

Someone will no doubt say that this isn't realistic - the real-life case is the pilot hanging on desperately to the yoke trying to maintain a visual climb attitude. And they may be right. There's no need to flight test that one, there's no doubt about what will happen...

(Oh, and someone will criticise my grammar, and several people will accuse me of irresponsibility for daring to try something so risky, and others will go on to accuse me of trying to incite inexperienced pilots to kill themselves. And to all of you I say, a plague on all your houses, or less poetically <invective of choice> off).