PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineering a new Engineering
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2012, 22:45
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to a piceth

Hi Turbine D

Thanks for all your time, a bonanza! When I left composites/manufacture, computers were nowhere near the level they are today. Looking over the Boeing data, I am reminded of a free wheeling discussion. The sense in the group was that at some point, people will realize two phase of all description would eventually teach us how to use it. With advanced modeling, utilizing failure models will lead to reversing the cascade into a manufacturing model that allows eliminating much of the material in a substructure. Stress pathways can be engineered into a piece without the need for so much material. Just as metallic beams can be 'relieved' of material to save weight, so too can composites.

So this brings us to 'monocoque'. Stressed skin can be blended with stiffening members and their attendant spiders to virtually eliminate the need for "fasteners". An economy of strength/weight, as it reaches optimum, will astound us as to the gross weight of the airframe.

The 'barrel' that Boeing shows us (fuselage) serves well as a model. Imagine half that structure gone, replaced with a skin of lapped 'scales'. Instead of circular taping (it is actually "spiral", but functionally circular), appositional helical winding will replace it, each successive layer opposite in direction and bias.

If you have ever seen the chiton skeleton of a turtle, that is instructive. At the dorsal of the carapace is the "Spine", a beautifully distributive structure that supports the entire shell.

Instead of relying on mass/heft, new composites will be sliced, diced, and minimized to provide optimum strength to weight. More than this will be the welcome loss of mechanical fasteners, the source of many problems thus far.

Not a Luddite, but I will welcome also the construction of entire a/c in situ,
rather than dependent on barge, Rail and heavy lifters to co-locate subassemblies.

nice to see you, take care

Last edited by Lyman; 26th Feb 2012 at 22:57.