PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 26th Feb 2012, 18:52
Helinut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
matalice,

Someone with a bare CPL(H) would normally have no chance of getting work, particularly in the current market. Most onshore flying will be done single pilot: for offshore an IR is essential.

Assuming your friend has an onshore operating company, you are presumably looking at single pilot flying. With a bare CPL(H) and a limited number of P1 hours you don't have much experience. As I say, normally you would not stand much chance at all of getting any work. Even if your friend favours you, there could certainly be problems with getting insurance. I suggest you check this before you spend money getting a helicopter licence. Although it is not fixed, companies often are looking for around 1,000 hrs for someone to take command of a commercial flight.

Perhaps even more significant than that, you need to appreciate that helicopters are different from aircraft: not just in how they fly, but how they are used. Broadly speaking (because they are more expensive) they will only get used when an aeroplane will not do the job. Helicopters are enormously flexible and an experienced pilot can do marvellous things with one. There is much more judgment needed to fly helicopters than aeroplanes. For example, helicopters are used to fly into private sites. These are places which are not controlled, don't have a licence and not been checked to the same extent as airports. No fire crew; no ATC. The pilot has to make the decision whether or not to use such a site and how to use it, with relatively limited help from anyone else.

You will need to gather training, experience and skill once you have your licence to become a satisfactory helicopter pilot. I hope your friend is prepared to spend the significant sums of money needed to help you do that.