PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the goss with Mareeba?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2012, 10:11
Aimpoint

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Have you been up here, aimpoint? There's tropics and tropics, you only have to fly 15 or 20 nm inland from CS and you're in the dry eucalypt country.

The Wx in general is going to be more conducive to getting training done than the coast, good setup airspace wise, fair bit of space around the aerodrome for works, close to an international airport, attractive region for international students to want to visit anyway - lots of scope.

Yeah, I have done a fair bit of flying up there actually...and also instructed in a former life too. The two won't go together very well for a large percentage of the year, especially when it gets to nav, let alone solo nav, training time. Diversion practice is only good to a point, sooner or later they will need to learn how to navigate without a cell or low cloud in the way. One set of airspace you can only really hit from one direction doesn't make it good for airspace training, unless you've got a large number of international guys you are worried about hitting it. I'm not really sure why you're pushing so hard for it in your posts, the cynic inside me makes me think there is some sort of vested interest.