PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nats atcos to spain?
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2012, 08:33
aldegar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How can aynone be GUARANTEED to pass their training?
I know it sounds incredible, but after the 5th of february of 2010 anything is posible in Spain regarding ATC. As an example, that year the government decided to replace the ATCOs in El Hierro (GCHI) by FISOs (from INECO). However, the island's citizens were outraged when they found out that no ATC service was being provided in their airport and it became a hot political issue. What did they do? INECO gave quick "upgrade" training (one or two months, not fully sure) to their FISOs and... et voila, all of them suddenly became ATCOs, with a European ATC license and a twr rating. A Guinness record, in less time that it would have normally taken to get the local twr rating (used to be three months), not only they got that rating, but also a European ATCO license! Amazing, isn't it?

Needless to say, this "mercenaries" won't recieve a warm welcome from the locals.
Like Daermon ATC, I personally don't support Pamplina's comment. Government and management are the ones to blame, not the colleagues who decide to work for ferronats or Saerco. For me they are not mercenaries, they are just workers like us applying for a job, just the same as the many spanish ATCOs who have left in the past two years two work in other countries.

But it's easy for me to say since I work in an ACC and I'm not facing, like my twr colleagues, being notified any moment that I have to move to wherever AENA decides (with all it implies: wife's jobs, kid's schools, paying the mortgage of a house you won't be using plus a rent in your new place...).