PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2012, 05:57
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by safetypee
Machinbird, an interesting theory (#529). Is there any science which support this, or with such science, anything which links it with the events of this accident.
Reasonable question. Did a little digging on the subject. It fits the category, Parasomnia.
parasomnia /para·som·nia/ (-somīne-ah) a category of sleep disorders in which abnormal events occur during sleep, such as sleepwalking or talking; due to inappropriately timed activation of physiological systems.
The best briefing on the subject I found was here:Parasomnia (Insomnia & Sleep Disorders) (Wait for the advertisement to run its course.)

From what I have learned, it would not be at all surprising to find unconscious skilled behavior in a parasomnia event. If sleeping women can cook a meal and eat it without actually waking, I pilot should be able to make a semblance of an approach and landing while unconscious.

I have not yet gone through the accident report with a fine tooth comb looking for evidence of parasomnia, but in a brief read earlier, the Captain was not interacting much after he was 'awakened'. If parasomnia was involved, it is all the more reason for a PM not being bashful about taking charge when he sees the Fit about to hit the Shan.

OK465, I spent a few months at Miramar, but was mostly an East Coast flyer.