PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RACNSW in 'De Good Ole Days'....
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2012, 02:50
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks,
Interesting memories: I did my AU CPL test with Curly (Curlewis, that is) --- a bit of a culture shock.

Previously, my only experience of "the men from the Ministry" was at Stanstead, UK. Said men from the Ministry were kitted out in the same uniform as a BOAC Captain--- they actually were supplied by the BOAC uniform store, only the hat badge and wings were different.

So, to me, a bloke looking like a WWI naval captain was the norm for an Examiner of Airmen--- then Tom turned up at the RACNSW flight hut, wearing a paint spattered green jumper and well worn cords, complimented with a decrepit pair of brothel creepers --- desert boots to those of you of tender and sensitive disposition.

Looked like he had been painting the house, accounted for by the fact he had been painting the house ----- and loudly announced: "Where's today's victim" ---- not a great confidence booster.

I realized I had past, only when, walking into the office on conclusion, he again announced to all and sundry: "I supposed young XXXX won't fxxking kill anybody" ----- a reasonable guess, I haven't.

It was the "good old days", all the Examiners were people, for whom we all had respect, we knew their foibles ---- they were all "firm but fair".

----- there are many of today's FOIs who are certainly not fair, too many of them have a very aggressive ( not Tom's mock aggressive) attitude, generally to mask their lack of aviation experience and often lack of quite basic aeronautical knowledge, let alone the advanced level of knowledge and understanding that should be a necessary qualification for an FOI --- and can't fly to save their lives ( I was going to say something somewhat less complimentary.)

It is worth looking up the FAA minimum qualifications to even apply for an inspector's job, then look up the FAA induction training --- then look up all the info. you can find about the most recent ICAO and FAA audits of CASA ---- the problem is there for all to see.

Tootle pip!!

PS: Looking through Frank's list, it is a sobering thought that so many died in accidents, and not of other natural, if self induced, causes.