PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 26th Feb 2012, 00:50
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And as for the good old V2 issue: it is a target speed from below (ie when accelerating), it is not the best anything (just the lowest speed at which the OEM can meet the minimum certification gradient) and, if you have already got it, V2+10 to V2+15 gives a much better gradient.
This got me into a heated position with a check captain during a cyclic check.

The engine was failed at about V2 + 15 (+/- about 5 knots). I slowed the aircraft to VFS (VySE) which was in this particular aircraft V2 + 10, and maintained it. The FO started calling 'speed'. I replied 'checked'. Once through AA the checkie paused the sim and told me that he wanted to see me maintain V2.

I told him that I would only maintain V2 if I was slower than it, and needed to accelerate to achieve it. If I were faster than V2 I would maintain that speed up to VFS (VySE) and if I were faster than VFS, I'd reduce to VFS.

Well this didn't go down to well. I was subsequently berated and told that I was required to maintain V2 until AA as this was the certification requirements of 20.7.1b. I replied that V2 was the TOSS, not a target speed for climb. I.e the minimum speed you could safely maintain to remain in control of the aircraft. You'd be daft to slow to V2 if you already had a margin of speed above it and a positive climb gradient

Tuns out I was right.......but I had to take some heat from it.