PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who can demand to look at ASIC cards?
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2012, 20:27
Scottw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G'day Aussie Bob

under aviation law anyone conducting aviation activities in an aviation sensitive area-AKA airside on a security controlled airfield, does have the power to stop and enquire of anyone who is not displaying an ASIC or enquire if that person does have an ASIC if they feel it necessary, but enquiring is as far as it goes and if the person needs to removed from the area. The airport operator (ARO's)needs to be notified and even call the police if deemed neccesary.
And this argument has been raised many times as many who operate a maintenance facility, flying school etc feel that they are not police. Fair call. The airfield I work from has a great aviation community and notifies if they see something/someone in a place they should not be.

Now the power of ARO's with Aviation Security Licences as mentioned comes from the Aviation Transport Security Act of 2004. The Regulatory Body is the Office of Transport Security which is a part of the Deptmnt of Infrustructure & Transport (DoIT) formerly DOTARS.
Being an ARO myself I have gone through the security training.
And just as an example if it was an Airport ARO that approached you and questioned you and during the comms you asked to see his his licence than as far as I am aware he/she has to show you under law.
If that person is not a Licenced Security Officer but works in the capacity as an ARO and asks you the same question, his powers then come from the Authority of the airfield owner operator and should provide you with a phone number and name to verify that, if one was to pursue that avenue. An ARO just shoving an ASIC Card under your nose really doesn't cut the mustard.

And Makeithappencaptian
You are right, you get along a hell of a lot better if the person making the enquiries drops the attitude. Yes in this role the ARO's job is to make sure legislation is being complied with and protect the airport owners asset. Still they are not the Fed or state Police (that is why we call them if there is a major issue) so respect is earned not demanded as the ARO's and all who use the airfield have to co-exist
And I have seen this too, give a person a security licence and they think they instatntly become cops. Just doesn't work!

More info can obtained by contacting the OTS via www.infrastructure.gov.au

In fact we just happen to have in Toowoomba WED 29th Feb this week a representative from OTS coming up to give an information session 6pm at the Darling Downs Aero Club social function room, so if anyone is in the area and would like to share in this you are more than welcome.
you can contact me, and I need to know no later than Monday 27th (Tomorrow)close of business day- [email protected]

Cheers
Scott

Last edited by Scottw; 25th Feb 2012 at 20:49.