PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet disruptive passengers
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2012, 18:06
Rail Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call people cattle and they will start to act like cattle.
It's not just the passengers who seem to suffer from lack of respect.
I have to say I too am somewhat disappointed by the pompous and disrespectful attitude shown by some within the Industry towards those who in actual fact do pay their salaries at the end of the day.

If they find flying passengers so distasteful perhaps they are in the wrong job ? Maybe they should be flying freight ?

As a railway engineer I also have to make decisions which can at worst impact on the safety of hundreds of people when I authorise the handback of the track into operational service, and in the very worst event this could result in a multiple high speed collision. Similarly I am sure there are many others who fly who have equally if not more onerous responsibilities for peoples immediate safety and wellbeing.

Anyway to return to the topic, as a regular long and short haul flyer, I would prefer that the flight deck crew did not come back into the cabin to deal with trouble-makers. We regularly experience violence to staff on the Railways from the lowly scrote, right up to those in high-earning and important positions in life. It can even involve us Engineers at times. No-one without the correct training can necessarily always identify a situation which is quickly going to turn violent, and when passengers do turn to violence to emphasise their inability to interact in a reasonable way on a civilised level, the fact that it is the Captain of the a/c will not feature in their thinking.

Personally I would rather the Captain or the FO were both physically capable of doing what they are paid for which is to manage the safety of the a/c and the flight. Getting into debates with angry passengers may well satiate some of the more "aplha-male" types on here but frankly an airline who would allow its flight deck crew to place themselves into situations where one of the FD crew may be assaulted and effectively disabled from their duties is not an airline that would be towards the top of my preferred list.

Sorry if this upsets anyone but of course I am only a lowly member of the cattle.