PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conduct of IRR and Base Check on Modern Twin Engine Helicopters (like EC 225)
Old 25th Feb 2012, 14:46
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teaching for the Test

It's a difficult call isn't it? You set up a test regime designed to focus on the basic skills but in doing so the risk is that schools and training departments will focus on the needs of the test and not on the needs of the candidate.

Ignoring the need to demonstrate a full understanding of AP functions that are used in your daily routine, sometimes in demanding night and bad weather situations, carries a risk that I thought we were at least aware of.

Mishandling of AP functions in a two crew environment is a problem I encounter regularly and it's disappointing to see the lack of adequate SOPs in that respect. I would like to see the test focus on the effective use and management of AP systems for as they become a more significant part of our strategy for coping in high workload, bad weather situations so their correct use will be not just important but critical.

If the test cannot deliver a true picture of competency then the training staff owe it to their guys and gals to be aware of where weaknesses exist and ensure they make adequate use of their recurrent training to focus on those weaknesses with remedial work. Don't be satisfied with any old LOFT exercise that amounts to ticking boxes - get the best value you can with a bit of analysis, thought and planning.

G.