PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay pacific SECOND OFFICER – ADVANCED ENTRY INITIAL INTERVIEW
Old 25th Feb 2012, 10:23
smurf84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
harsh -

Better options in the Indian aviation industry? I'd kill to see that day.

I was overwhelmed by the entire process. Ever since I got my Indian CPL in early 2011, this was my first ever airline exam/interview and it was a memorable experience, considering it was Cathay Pacific, and comparing it to the horrendous stories shared by other members when they went to give the SpiceJet exam. I'm not aware how Go Air does it. The questions for Cathay's written exam .was a lot easier and made more sense to us. I understand some would disagree saying that "Oh, you're going to fly a jet engine and you need to know a lot about it to give the exam and interview". To my surprise, I didn't get to see that. I wasn't even quizzed on how a jet engine works, or what the FMS does. Cathay has always maintained that it is a place for learning. When the right time comes, you will be proficient in all those areas through on-the-job experience (when you monitor all the activities as a Second Officer).

Each candidate was treated with so much respect and the interview panel (mine was done by the legendary Capt. Alan Wilson who is the Manager, Flying Training for Cathay Pacific, an exceptional person). Anyway, I don't expect to get through in one go. Of course this is a worldwide recruitment drive and there were quite a few experienced pilots who came for the interview. I'm just another CPL holder with 260 odd hours. I can only hope for a miracle. The only problem lies within the transition period from a Second Officer to a First Officer which will be testing times.

Overall, it was a satisfying day.

P.S. - I was disappointed with 2-3 candidates who were giving the written tech exam. Shocked to learn they were not even capable of converting knots to m/sec, recognize the transponder codes for emergency, comm failure and hijack. If I ever get to know these guys get through to the final interview in Hong Kong, then God save the aviation industry.

Last edited by smurf84; 26th Feb 2012 at 15:07.