PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saigon Memory:
Thread: Saigon Memory:
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2012, 09:48
Ocean Person

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saigon:

pjac;

I trust you noted in my post that says crews did not object to operating the Saigon flights starts with the words " to my knowledge ". The matter of a junior Captain not wanting to be involved is news to me. As a fellow very junior Captain I operated any number of those Saigon turn arounds and I'm surprized I never heard that story. Maybe " keep it quiet " was the order of the day. As far as insurance was concerned I think the company had an extra policy in place but I can't remember anything about it. Something never discussed.

If you were there I'm sure you will recall the almost farcical suggestions from flights operations to put another pair of eyes on the flight deck during approach. Get one of the cabin crew to sit in the jump seat behind the Captain. The girl with the nicest perfume would have been my choice but I think the suggestion was to get the chief male purser. Also take down the Captain's and First Officer's oxygen mask so that the hose does not impede the Flight Engineer's vision. Admittedly the approaches were sometimes saturated with all kinds of aircraft but I personally never experienced anything alarming. The US military ATC was par excellence.

O.P.