PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2012, 22:51
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aterpster,
I too have investigated accidents (as a military aviator) but I have a different take on this captain's performance.
Have you ever considered the possibility that he never actually awakened? If you are tired enough, it is a distinct possibility.

I have personal experience with sleep driving which is a related concept.
I was young and driving a long distance under time pressure. On the second night of the trip in the middle of Kansas, I pulled off into a rest area (From the Interstate highway) for a quick nap. I set the alarm for 20 minutes into the future and laid down across the seats. Next thing I was aware of, I was driving down a two lane road with the oncoming driver flashing his lights. But where was the Interstate?
In the moonlight, there was another parallel strip of concrete off to the side!

To make a long story short, I had pulled out of the parking spot, reversed travel direction in the parking lot, and gone out the parking area Entry ramp! The car had no extra paint on it from the maneuver so it was not a "drive by braille" exercise. All this while asleep.
This was a manual transmission car too!!!

Last edited by Machinbird; 25th Feb 2012 at 00:15. Reason: Adding Additional Information