PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Probably a really stupid question
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2012, 20:08
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No discussion yet of 'defensive flying'... I never, ever, operate OCAS under cloud streets, or fly over obvious big sources of thermal lift, or at ridge-soaring heights along ridges in conditions favourable to the production of ridge lift... But I only know not to do those things because I have been a cross-country glider pilot...
One does not have to be a cross country glider pilot to know those things, a bog standard non competitive glider pilot should know them. Admittedly not so many, only power pilots, would.
It is a big sky & power pilots have the right to fly where they like OCAS.
As for defensive flying, I am aware of those conditions/places & treat them with considerable caution, I am not however going to avoid big chunks of sky on the off chance of a glider being there.
I may as well stay on the ground in case a power pilot is flying with his eyes down.
Until such time as power pilots are forced by the rules to learn the gliding "system" (which I think would be a good idea) there is obviously going to be a conflict.
We, at our flying club, attempted to organise a day out at the gliding club. Unfortunately not a lot of interest. Personally I think it would be a good thing.

Six collisions in three & a half years!! How many hours/flights without collisions?
I know six is six too many. Compare it with driving, how many crashes/hours?
We may as well give up & hide in a wad of cotton wool.