PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Probably a really stupid question
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2012, 16:54
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mary meagher.
Please don't attempt to make me feel ashamed that I did not do the X country the 50K, 300, Diamond etc. I got as far as the silver height, & enjoyed every minute, however I found it tedious repairing winches & tractors more than flying.
I have nothing against glider pilots per se, except the fact that many of them, apparently including yourself, seem to regard power pilots as some lower form of aviatic life.
Your bad experience of power pilots is nothing to do with the vast majority of powered a/c or pilots.
If power pilots were such bad aviators generally then shouldn't the authorities be advised & something done about it? Are powered a/c bumping into each other every five minutes?
This seems to be a them & us situation & I do not wish to be in one of those.
We are all in the aviation business, we all use the same atmosphere. If you have a problem with a power pilot who didn't see you, did you discuss it with them? Did you file an MOR? Was it a reportable airmiss?
I once met a glider head on during climb out at a licenced airfield, who dissapeared into cloud at 1200ft over the runway. Legal? prob not, safe? prob not. Good airmanship? deff not in my opinion. I mentioned it's position to my AG as a caution & haven't mentioned it since, 3yrs.
When I was gliding we were encouraged by some instructors to enter Blue 22 as often as possible, in the hope (which worked) that it would be moved a bit to the right. Is this good airmanship?
Enjoy your gliding & your tugging but please stop sniping at other forms of aviation. Glider pilots can't walk on water any more than skydivers.