PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nats atcos to spain?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2012, 09:31
Daermon ATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chevvron
They'll probably have to speak 'ICAO level 4 Spanish'.
Nope, not really. Spanish law allows for non-spanish speaking controllers on towers with lots of international flights... but exactly what "lots" means has been never defined so I'd say that "once a month" will be considered enough.
It's nice when yout company is also the government... you can ask them to tweak the laws as you need them.

Originally Posted by dan dare
Many will hope it is the latter, but this could turn out to be a tragic and expensive experiment.
47 class A incidents in Spain in 2010... bless TCAS

Thanks to all who answered my question... I must admitt that I'm a little surprised though. Not for the part of doing a job in another country for a few years (I worked for an international financial company prior to becoming atc) but rather because I'd think spanish law to which these controllers would be subject is ... 4th world?

I can clarify if needed, either here or on a private message... just let me post the 2 main laws (+1 modification) spanish atcos must obey:

Ley 21/2003
Ley 9/2010
Ley 1/2011 (modifies the first one. Check item 16 and 20 specially... there you can read a range of new infractions that will yield you a definitive loss of atco licence and a fine from 250.001€ to 4.500.000€ ... and no, I didn't make any mistake with the zeros...)

Want to come to Spain? You are welcome!
Can I have your former post at.... wherever?