PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Availability Birdsville - Tobooburra - Leigh Creek Region
Old 24th Feb 2012, 05:26
chimbu warrior

Received 52 Likes on 20 Posts
Since it's card swipe, no need for the friendly refueller who used to give runway info, keep snacks in her fridge etc.
Well that might work in theory, but not in the real world. Was at YCAB twice recently and the card swipe "declined" all cards offered. Press the help button on the bowser, no help. Call the help-line by phone, listen to recorded message about how (large Dutch multi-national oil company) values my call, then eventually a real person answers.

I explain the situation, he responds with thinly disguised platitudes, but "...we are aware of the issue and seeking a resolution..." is all he can offer. I express frustration, he suggests real problem is actually someone else's fault (of course), then suggests I go elsewhere.

Fact is, without fuel I go nowhere.

This same oil company "reviewed" their network of outlets a year or so ago, and closed several Avgas facilities in what (to GA operators) are strategic locations. No doubt when they "review" sales performance at YCAB it will be seen to have "...not met sales targets.." and perhaps discontinued.

So the friendly refueller is usually more than just a pretty face; they are a lifeline in the bush.