PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 19:16
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aterpster,

I don't know if you try to be so abrasive as part of your internet "persona", or if you really are so bitter & blinkered, I hope, for you too, it is the former.

In the 1st instance,I have to agree wholeheartedly that this approach was so royally screwed up, that I cannot fathom anyone with experience somehow thinking they could get away with it.
On the other hand, I find it difficult to believe that the PIC truly wished to end his life, in a smouldering heap, off the end of a runway in the god forsaken hole that he was forced to seek work.

Do you see where I am coming from ?
We must assume therefore that he was either such a "devil may care" risk taker that he decided , "what the hell, lets go for it" . . OR, he didn't, at that moment in time, appreciate how much sh1t he had dropped himself in.
In a former life I flew in a company with a fair few Serbs. Yes, they were known to push the boat out a bit further than some other nationalities, perhaps an inevitable consequence of living in a country ravaged by civil war, but, they were generally competent switched -on guys who would normally know when to REALLY call it a day.

I have flown approaches after spending a very long night flying UK/Europe to the Canaries/Cyprus & back, where I was physically falling asleep on final, I was that feckin tired ! ! Sometimes, this woke me with such a bloody start that I landed, feeling Tom Cruise like, convinced I could probably loop the space shuttle if needed. On other occasions, it took all my physical & mental strength to somehow figure out how to gracelessly flare/plonk it down, & subsequently taxy half way round the world (in particular CDG) without falling asleep at the wheel. On the odd occasion I have messed it up (or had it messed up for me by ATC) the Tom Cruise mode has usually kicked in . . . . . what if it hadn't ? & what if, on that day, the guy sitting next to me had been more worried about cultural issues/face-saving or whatever than saying "Hey mate, you are going to kill us all ".
Having spent some time with a Turkish carrier, I have seen situations where RHS would prefer to be killed by LHS than open his mouth ( & believe me it was 1000% easier for him to do so with me, than with Capt Turk! )

The unfortunate Capt in this accident was making his 1st flt following his 2 weeks OFF , after his 6wks ON . . . in India ! !
How rested was he ? how able was he to be "more" rested than he was? how much sh1t was he maybe taking whilst at home, for his "rest", from "her indoors", who, whilst no doubt grateful for the pay-check , possibly also made her feelings well known about running the family home unaided/unsupported (except financially) for 6 weeks ?
I am sorry to say it, but just bad-mouthing somebody who royally screwed up an approach, without acknowledging that there are 1001 factors (visible & invisible) which have contributed to that mental abberation , is both heartless & very closed-minded.
You keep trumpeting your accident investigation skills. . . as far as I can see from this report, at least the remit /scope of this investigation (even in a country like India) appears to have moved on a tad with respect to your , frankly blinkered, viewpoint.
YES YES YES, PIC cocked up so horribly badly that we cannot imagine how. . . it is however, much more important/relevant to try & figure out why, lest we are not the next, in preference to merely bad-mouthing a fellow pilot, whom , I have no doubt, wished to get to the end of the next 6 weeks, & then go back to his family/civilisation.
Sorry Sir, but you are a heartless blinkered individual . . . . nonetheless, I am happy that you have made it to retirement, as others have said though, maybe you should give thanks occassionaly to lady luck, rather than retreating so far up your own sphincter that you think it was ALL down to you.

Last edited by captplaystation; 23rd Feb 2012 at 21:10.