PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Probably a really stupid question
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 19:12
frontlefthamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter wrote:

There is ambiguity in practice, if the two aircraft are well separated but apparently head-on, if their tracks are such that a turn to the left is more appropriate.
There's no ambiguity in my aircraft. If the aircraft are well separated, then no risk of collision exists, and the rules are redundant. You have to make this assessment from the point of view of the pessimistic pilot of the other aircraft of course; practically, you must assume that he will decide there is a risk of collision at a very early stage.

Halfbaked Boy wrote:

When would it be 'more appropriate' to act against the rules of the air?

To preserve life, of course.
Quite right. And this should be an extremely unusual occasion; not in any way routine. If you reach this situation, then you have probably missed something important.

Peter wrote:

Also, is the "one o'clock" relative to your heading, or relative to your track.

There are no hard rules on this, if you see other traffic at a long distance.
Yes there are. Rule 9 says: 'when two aircraft are converging in the air at approximately the same altitude, the aircraft which has the other on its right shall give way'.

It does not say: 'which has the other on the right of its track'...

Rule 10 says: 'When two aircraft are approaching head-on, or approximately so, in the air and there is a danger of collision, each shall alter its course to the right'.

Nowhere is track mentioned. Both are in the same air mass. Why would you even think it had anything to do with track?

If you are FLH and the flight manual says Pull the BRS when other traffic is in view, then you must pull the BRS
Well, it doesn't, and I don't know why you present this entirely irrelevant allegation (perhaps it's the best you could come up with ), but I'll try to explain (again, since you didn't seem to get it last time): if the flight manual tells you what to do, and you don't do it, then you are entirely and singularly responsible for the consequences. I believe, from your last response on this point, that you didn't understand me...

If you are approaching another aircraft head on, or approximately so, and you turn left, and the other pilot turns right, and there is a collision, it will be your fault. The rule told you to turn right, and you didn't.

The rules only work if you assume that the other pilot knows them and is applying them.

This thread started with someone admitting he didn't know them, and later saying he couldn't be bothered to take a moment to find them. He shouldn't have been aviating until he knew them. How many others are out there?

I agree with Mary, there is no such thing as a stupid question. There are, however, stupid ways of finding answers.

Would anyone care to remind us of the number of mid-air collisions and fatalities resulting from them in the UK in very recent years..?