PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some questions for the professionals
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 18:15
Denti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You probably do more real flying than most airline pilots then

In regards to foreign language and fueling. It depends really. In many cases it is enough to tell the ramp agent who then translates to the fuel truck driver. Sometimes i prepare a little paper with the tank gauges on and the amount of fuel i want in every one. We used to have a form for that, but thats been gone because it cost too much money. And then there are those annoying airports where fuel truck drivers refuse to operate the tank valves, in that case i do it myself and never have to tell the fueler how much i want.

FREDA is an acronym i haven't come across. However we do have to do a fuel cross check at least once an hour. Navigation is being checked continously by the aircraft itself. It tells us of course the RNP for the current condition and the corresponding ANP (Actual Navigation Performance). On newer planes its even easier with navigation performance scales on the PFD. We do have maps on the flightdeck, however those are purely electronic on the Electronic FlightBag. They can be used for crosschecks, but it is not being trained and checked anymore. We can still use old school VOR/ADF navigation if needed.

Pilot incapacition is pretty difficult to begin with. In a normal flight even with a silent incapacitation at some point the other pilot should realize that there is no reaction to ATC instructions, challenges etc. Training is usually kinda sterile, in that you get a hint that the other one is incapacitated. But i guess there are better ones to explain all that.