PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 - Ground Resonance [video]
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 18:13
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I understand it ground resonance is a temporary imbalance in the rotor system caused by external forces.
Posted before in another thread:

Ground resonance is a hazardous condition that can occur any time the rotor of a helicopter or gyroplane is turning while the aircraft is on the ground. Similar in concept to the behaviour of a washing machine when the clothes are concentrated at one point during the spin cycle, ground resonance can occur with a rotorcraft when the spacing between blades become irregular or the damping system, including drag hinge dampers, landing gear oleo struts, or wheel tire pressure, is operating out of limits. Ground resonance occurs at three rotor rpm bands, the first at about one-third of normal rotor speed, the second at a range including normal rotor speed, and the last in a range above normal rotor speed.

Ground resonance is precipitated by a shock to the aircraft arising from excessive motion of a rotor blade in its plane of rotation thereby moving the rotor center of gravity from the axis of rotation. Inadequate damping allows the rotor center of gravity to spiral away from the rotor axis of rotation, causing the rotor to generate unbalanced rotating moments beyond the compensating ability of the damping system. In addition to damping system malfunctions mentioned above, such blade movement can occur as a result of taxying over rough ground with the rotor turning at a speed within a susceptible range, or takeoff/landing in which a shock occurs to one side of the landing gear.

Under extreme conditions, the initial shock can cause violent oscillations that quickly build and result in catastrophic damage of the entire airframe. In some cases, complete destruction occurs, e.g. body panels, fuel tanks, and engines are all ripped about normal rotor speed.

Recovery is possible in some cases. If sufficient rotor RPM exists, immediate takeoff can restore rotor balance. If rotor RPM is low, complete shutdown might be sufficient.

Two bladed semi-rigid see-saw (underslung) type rotor systems are not susceptible to ground resonance because the blades do not lead and lag.
And you may also add Devil49's comments to the above.

But let's say something actually structural did depart the rotable components, a tip fairing or a blade damper or something, then I assume no amount of lifting off recovery is going to save you. Right?
Totally different scenario and almost impossible to predict. Most 'things' that depart dynamic components while in full motion have the potential to cause catastrophe but .. there are always exceptions. I had the 'beanie' hat fly off the head of Hughes 500D in flight and all I got was a mild kick through the cyclic .. but I was lucky!