PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Probably a really stupid question
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 17:06
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts
Another poor guy getting a roasting for asking a question.
No, he probably didn't pass a UK air law exam! Nor do most of the visitors to the UK.
No, not a roasting, but a reminder of a pilot's responsibilities - learn the rules before you fly. But is the OP a visitor to UK? Somewhat understandable if so, but that's not the impression I got.

Foxmoth, the right of way rules and lights required a 100% pass when I did my exams. The rest of Air Law perhaps isn't quite so important and no-one can be expected to know all of it; I certainly wouldn't claim to do so. However, all pilots should know where to find the answer to right of way rules - this is totally fundamental stuff! Or do some of us consider it optional? Would anyone here consider driving a car in another country without knowing at least the basic rules on right of way?

I agree that there is no such thing as a stupid question (if you are a student). However, even the OP thought it might be - see the title! I did politely resist the initial temptation to simply reply "YES" (but the website doesn't allow one word answers, in any case).

The answer is in CAP393, that I linked to; all anyone has to do is to download it and read it. The right of way rules have always been the same for at least the forty years that I've been flying.