PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 - Ground Resonance [video]
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 15:08
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Does it sound like the OP video was increasing NR?

The answer is simple: when it (ground resonance) starts, stop what you're doing.
If you're running up, NR from ground to flight idle, go back to flight idle (I'd probably shut down...).
If you've just landed and/or are still at flight NR, takeoff. It will fly with the doors open. Getting the helo off the ground with people under the disk is safer than letting the aircraft dynamically disassemble itself overhead/around them.

I've seen guys try to "land through it", especially tempting in a multi with overhead engine condition levers to complicate an eventual hovering auto. That didn't work. I've seen guys try to run up, hoping "it" would stop with a change in NR. Ditto. I know a guy who tried to complete a crosswind running landing with a student, only to end up in a pile of parts.

I'm probably preaching to the choir, but my recollection is that it's clearly a bad thing occurring when "dynamic divergent excitation" commences and one has to react quickly before it's fully developed and destroys the helo- something like 3 turns of he NR? I've been told that the AS350 could do this in flight...