PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Notar -v - Tail Rotor
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2002, 20:12
john du'pruyting

Just to add a bit more, The 'rudder' (VSCS for us 902 types),is not controlled by pedal input (at least, not on the 902) its inputs derive from collective power, yaw rate gyros and the AP system (if you have one). As Nick rightly says, in terms of complexity a Notar system beats conventional T/R and fenestron into a cocked hat. Personally speaking, I wouldn't want to have a fan failure in a 902 (mind you, I wouldnt want to have a fenestron or tail rotor failure in any other type either!). The Flight manual is quite vague about the procedures to be adopted for any of the potential Notar fan problems, but correct actions at the bottom end should hopefully result in a relatively controlled 'crash; (I like to set my sights to the low standard I know I can achieve!). However, we must add to stabilisation problems a VSCS failure for which conventional helicopters have no such similar problems. (and as long as you wash your speed off bl**dy quickly should not result in anything more than airsickness all round ). So Notar ain't perfect by any stretch, but it works for me (and despite what TC thinks it's still quieter than a 135 )