PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Australia Psychometric Testing
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 13:39
amberale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi folks.
For the record, I am 50 and have just got my 30 years service.
I am looking forward to retirement soonish.
Out of my double course of 40 people about 28 got rated and 15 are still working as ATC, most with ASA but a couple with other ANS providers.
There are 2 or 3 who are still with ASA but in non ATC positions.

I believe that our course had one of the more successful pass rates in the 80s.
We had failure rates of 50% even then with the "cadet" style long term courses.

No one I know of has ever winged it through training with minimal or no study.
Some people can absorb the huge amount of regs, rules and legal requirements, are naturals at the multitasking and shrug off the pressure.
Most aren't/cannot do it that easily.
Lots of those people still work through it and become very good controllers but it is a hard slog.
Every new position will involve more training and hard work, even after 20 years in the job.
The job is evolutionary with new airspace/procedures/aircraft etc all the time, so you will always be training and adapting.

I'm not trying to put anyone off.
It is a great job with a lot of rewards but not everyone is suited to it.

Outstation towers are a great way to learn the craft and a hell of a lot of fun.
You get to know everyone in the local aviation comunity from the aero club, training groups, firies, refuellers, airline staff, local council operators etc.
You are usually welcomed into the local comunity with open arms.
It is also usually easier to get to a plum position [CS, CG, MC, CFS, ] if you " do your time' in an outstation.

Don't be afraid of tower stream because you might get sent to a remote locality.
You might just find out that you love it and don't want to leave.

AA