PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tricky question ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 10:52
Lancair70

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tricky question ?

Im not sure how to go about this.
Im a father of 2 boys who reside with their mother in NW NSW. I live in NE NSW. Ive just completed a 14 hr driving trip to collect my boys for a 5 night stay. I dont want to do it again ! I have flown the boys for most of the trips I was required to do last year, in a barter trade deal with an aircraft owner, reducing my costs. This deal is somewhat limited or unavailable this year. (hence the recent marathon drive)
Im after a reasonably fast and economical aircraft to use up to 12 times a year on a 400nm or more return trip. (up to 800nm) An aircraft that fits the bill is a Commanche.
It so happens that there are a few locally based. 1 (a 260hp) gets very little use and just happens to be owned by a family friend. The other 2 (both 250's) are also privately owned, both by gentlemen I know enough to call their first name when I see them and engage in aircraft chat etc. All 3 owners know I have a CPL and that I semi-regularly fly the local parachute C182.

Here's the tricky question and Im sure you all worked it out by now, How does one ask a private aircraft owner if you can fly their aeroplane ?
If indeed at all.
In my mind is, I was once told, "Asking a man if you can fly his aeroplane, is like asking him if you can **** his wife!"
Is that good advice ?

I have some alternative methods of approaching the situation (LOL) but am keen to hear others views first.

Lancair