PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FIT TO FLY??
Thread: FIT TO FLY??
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 07:52
astir 8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know someone who Mike Blee flew some years ago. He says that MB was a great guy, enthusiastic about flying and keen to encourage young would-be pilots.

Unfortunately it's such great guys who can be a problem to flying clubs, gliding clubs etc. They've been there since God was a lad, probably sent half the club solo, taught the current CFI to fly etc etc.

But medical problems or old age catch up even with great guys, but their enthusiasm makes them want to ignore the reality and keep going.

It's then than "someone" has the difficult job of telling the GG that it's time he stopped instructing, or flying solo, or whatever. And like telling my 95 year old mum that it was time she stopped driving, it's not easy.

It looked to me from the AAIB report that there had been "buck passing" on the issue between the medics and the flying branch. The medics expected the CFI (or equivalent) to tell MB to stop, the Flying supervisors expected the medics to do it, so MB kept flying because he must be OK because no-one had said otherwise.

"Someone" failed to step forward. Very familiar situation, very human. Best of intentions all round. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Hopefully it's fixed now within the AEF scenario but everyone, especially within aviation needs to be aware of the danger of ageing great guys and if ncessary ACT.

It's the poor cadet I really feel for. Very nasty way to end a life.