PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Cleared Finals"
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 07:50
diggyduo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Cleared Finals"

The other day in a radar environment, approaching the inbound, I was "cleared finals" for a NPA from the radar controller. I had not heard a clearance like this before, though I have had "cleared finals, maintain x000" meaning intercept the final approach track but maintain x000' until cleared for the approach from tower.

I interpolated this "cleared finals" to mean the same thing - intercept the final approach track but maintain the current altitude. I was rolled through to tower on reporting established on finals. On checking in with tower, making sure we said we were "cleared finals" as we were a bit iffy about the approach clearance, tower gave us the normal "continue, number 1". I asked for clarification as to whether we were cleared for the approach which then sparked confusion with the controller who obviously assumed we knew we were cleared for the approach.

After landing we talked with the ATC supervisor who stated that 'cleared finals' is standard terminolgy and means the same as 'cleared for the approach'.

Is this True? I can't find the 'cleared finals' term anywhere, and it's new to me, though this doesn't mean it isn't common or accepted practice of course.

Cheers