PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FIT TO FLY??
Thread: FIT TO FLY??
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 06:22
Geehovah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orca, not disagreeing with your points and I appreciate that any counter view in such a tragic situation is fraught. Like you I would never condone a medical being granted where it should not nor would I accept poor supervision. Both are wrong. My point was that the pilot was skilled in his art, albeit his abilities as we now know were limited by his condition. As we both know, lookout in a fighter brings its own problems which are vastly different to that in a light aircraft but I accept the point fully about aeros.

I guess the point I was making, badly, is that there is a danger of such tragic incidents preventing air cadets from enjoying that vital experience that we all took for granted a few years ago. If someone had asked me when I was 15 whether I would still wish to fly knowing that there was a risk of a mid air or an engine failure, I would have been first in line. I would have pestered my parents into submission. I saw the problem first hand when, recently, I offered to fly some local cadets in a light aircraft at my own expense. The Flying Club is well run, the aircraft well maintained and the profile was benign but not risk free. There are no parachutes in a GA aircraft. The offer nearly had to be refused for reasons of risk/insurance. There can be a danger that we lose the very oxygen that attracts kids into the air cadets.

Could a mid air collision happen again? Sadly yes, on even the best run unit.

Again, my thoughts are with the family.