PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saigon Memory:
Thread: Saigon Memory:
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 05:30
Hoo Flung Pooh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall speaking with Jack Smith, a CX legend before he passed, a few years back.

He told me that he recalled vividly flying out of Tan Son Nhut airport, with CX just before it fell.

He remembered the South Vietnamese Air Force taking off in their A-1 Skyraiders and essentially bombing the outskirts of the city, all within full view of the airport and then landing again to re-arm. Mission time was about 10 minutes.

He told me that he operated the 2nd last CX flight out of Saigon before it fell. He was lined up on the runway and the controlled told him to turn left after take off. Unfortunately there was a massive CB to the left, so he asked the controller if he could turn right. The controller told him that there was an artillery barrage currently going on to the right. He chose the lesser of two evils. He went right, straight through the barrage...

Lastly, he mentioned that one of the saddest days of his time with CX, was the day he operated the 2nd last flight out of Saigon. After many years of loyal service to CX, the Vietnamese staff in Saigon were left behind to their own fates, in the hands of the Viet Cong/Viet Minh, as CX wouldn't fly them out....

Last edited by Hoo Flung Pooh; 23rd Feb 2012 at 05:53.