PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FIT TO FLY??
Thread: FIT TO FLY??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 22:40
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geehovah,

I disagree with you. AOC 22 Gp does as well. He says that lookout is a fundemental and critical skill and the Tutor pilot, sadly, couldn't do it sufficiently. From my stand point as a fighter jock. If you cannot rotate your head so that you can see past vertically upwards, whilst being able to also look wing tip to wing tip, then you cannot look out sufficiently in any vertical manoeuvre, of which the most basic is the loop.

I, along with the 2 star, therefore have no problem questioning his skill.

I also took the risk you identify as a child and continue to do so as an adult. But I don't agree that a child or parent makes the same decision I make. When I did it as a child; I and my parents, both assumed that the risk was mitigated to the correct degree which in this case it wasn't. AOC 22 Gp is again correct when he states that both the medical screening and supervision of the AEF were ineffective.

I would not let my children fly in a unit where that was the case. I would let my children fly with the RAF because (despite the fact that my cloth and their's struggle to get along) I would ordinarily assume the reverse was true, that my children would fly in a system of effective medical screening and supervision.

I would also assume that they would be thoroughly briefed on abandonment to the point of at least being able to demonstrate touch drills. I have done this whenever I have flown passengers. It seems that no-one really checked to see if the cadets really understood the brief. Given the shock of what happened, the spin and the 24 seconds available I am not convinced it would have saved the poor bloke. But that's besides the point. His friends couldn't explain how to jettison the canopy in a static interview room.

I have only supervised for 9 years. But I (as we all must have) can think of occasions when I told aircrew they weren't going on a sortie because of illness/fitness or frame of mind - and one case of telling the boss that an individual wasn't going flying at all until we'd sought expert advice. People knew that this pilot couldn't look out. His supervisory chain must have known. He must have known.

A point no-one has yet mentioned is, given his condition, would he have jumped anyway? If a parachute opening was likely to be crippling (at best) he was probably pre-disposed to attempting a forced landing as opposed to abandonment. Not directly relevant - but again someone I would not let my children fly with.

An absolutely horrid accident. My condolences to that poor cadet and his family.