PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 19:06
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE]I thought that this quote below from raf.mod.uk put me in the "able to apply" bracket. [QUOTE]

According to the criteria you mention from the RAF website you may be able to apply if you don't meet the 3 years residency requirement if you are a British citizen with at least one parent who is a British citizen and you lived with your parents abroad and you attended secondary school within the European Economic Area or a Commonwealth Country.

But you state in your first post that although you hold dual nationality you are a South African citizen and have lived and studied in South Africa all your life. So whilst you might fit the Dual National criteria, you might fall foul of that residency requirement if you are legally a South African citizen. I believe the British Nationality Act 1981 spells out the differences between nationality and citizenship and a read through might clarify which of the multiple categories you fit in to.

But if you are a South African citizen, then it doesn't look like you would meet the residency requirements you quote or be able to meet them in time to make the cut off of age 25 for pilot. You would on the other hand probably make the age bracket for WSO - 32 - but given their fairly limited future prospects, I think you would get some strange looks if you tried to go down that route now.

Last edited by Melchett01; 22nd Feb 2012 at 21:29.