PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FIT TO FLY??
Thread: FIT TO FLY??
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 17:38
WASALOADIE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an ex-RAF aircrew member and now a CO of an ATC Sqn. I would question the capability of someone I suspected to be unfit if they were to fly my cadets. But the majority of cadet CO's do not have the knowledge that I have and trust in the AEF staff to ensure their cadets are going to be safe.

The cadets 3822 (record of service) is signed by the CO to the effect bthat the parents have given their consent for the cadet to fly in a variety of aircraft. The parents do not have the slightest understanding of the fitness of the pilots, again, they put their trust in the ATC staff and those flying their children.

Its a great shame that it took these accidents to trigger action to be taken but this is not the first and I doubt it will be the last time that such an event occurs. But thats what military flight safety does, it improves things to try and prevent further occurences.

There has been a dramatic review of the regulations and monitoring of the conduct of flights and supervision since these accidents. I have witnessed the briefings and they are now very comprehensive and there is a good check of understanding.