PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Help! I am losing my memory
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2002, 16:51
Stan Sted

PPRuNe Bashmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! I am losing my memory

When my computer started crashing regularly I bought Norton Utilities to try to trace the problem. The System Doctor and other diagnostic systems found 119 problems and fixed them automatically.

I thought my problems were over, but of course nothing can be simple with me and computers. When my son's new Battlefield 42 game refused to run at any more than snail's pace before freezing up (at very low graphics and scenery levels) I did all the Norton checks again, this time paying attention to the memory checker.

I then found these readings: User Memory free 41% GDI free 65% Virtual Memory free 1602MB and finally and most worryingly Physical Memory free 8.5MB!!!

The PM level goes down to about 3MB free if I run Zone Alarm as a firewall. I have also quit all other applications running in the background to get the PM up to 8.5MB.

My computer has a 1Gig Duron, 256 MB of RAM and a 20G hard drive. I have tried putting a stick of 512MB RAM but this was unbalanced alongside a stick of 128MB and did not work at all well .

Anyone got any ideas on how I can improve things ( apart from buying a new computer)

cheers

SS