PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air India Express B738 crash
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 16:21
aterpster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PM:

You are wrong. Here's why. Let's say the guy emerged from the smoking hole in the ground totally unscathed. And then you get your way and they guy is prosecuted by the judicial system. You just tell me why he would help with his own prosecution? If that were you, I'd suggest you'd say nothing to convict yourself. I certainly wouldn't, even if innocent lest my comments were misinterpreted by some scumbag lawyer. Yet your testimony would be the most valuable thing for the investigation team. Now let's stick him in prison until he rots. We've just punished the guy - well you can say "That's justice!" But have YOU done ANYTHING to prevent this from re-occurring? No, you've just clumsily nailed up a sign that says "Trespassers will be shot!" Now, whenever there's any sort of incident, CVR/FDR's will "malfunction", paperwork will be shredded, crews will bugger off out of the country or hide away and become "sick" etc. Redneck justice deals only with pain, there is no gain.
I've heard your argument and the contra-arguments since the first accident investigation in which I was involved; 1972.

What the investigators who wrote this report were trying to achieve was to understand the human factors that drove this crew into doing what they did. For this they should be commended.
Yes, because they were trying to set forth a possible explanation for the captain's series of bad decisions. Nonetheless, the report also tells it the way it was.